At a mostly frozen Connetquot River State Park this morning was an adult Bald
Eagle. On the river there were 120 Common Mergansers. Behind the park offices
there was a Northern Bobwhite feeding on the spillage from the feeders. It is a
commentary on the two different directions that these two species population's
are trending that I considered the Bobwhite the rarer species. A stop at Bayard
Cutting Arboretum in Great River was not particularly productive, partially
owing to the fact that the tidal portion of the Connetquot River was mostly
frozen. i did however, see my first of season Common Grackle (the rarest
blackbird in our area in winter based partially on CBC data).

West End 2 did not have many birds but they were interesting ones. At the  WE2
marina there were two Lapland Longspurs on the lawn west of the rest rooms.
Approx. fifteen Common Repolls were wondering around the median. Eight American
Pipits were feeding on the shoulders of the parkway. At JBSP Field 6 there was
an adult Lesser Black-backed Gull on the beach with the common gull species.
Despite the cold weather this morning, the afternoon was one of the nicer days
so far this year (the birds helped, too).

Ken Feustel