I think the conflicting impressions described below by these two highly
experienced observers highlight the distinction between two distinct measures
of bird occurrence: frequency and abundance.

Although I don't spend a lot of time doing winter birding in the Queens area
Steve mentioned, I've participated in close to 100 CBCs from just east of there
(Southern Nassau County), elsewhere on Long Island, and in coastal southern New
England--and paid fairly close attention along the way to which species are
considered tough to find in the various circles. I agree with Ken that Common
Grackle is the least frequently encountered during winter of the three common
blackbird species--a property that could be measured by the number of distinct
entries on an individual observer's field sheets, the number of parties
recording the species on a count, or the tendency for the species to be missed
entirely on the CBC. But I also agree with Steve that Common Grackle, when
present, sometimes occurs in much larger numbers than any of the others--a
"feast or famine" pattern of occurrence.

To test this, I've pulled the numbers from three regional counts that vary
quite a bit in terms of habitat composition, but which average comparable
species totals in the 120-130 range: Southern Nassau County, Montauk, and South
Kingstown, RI. During the 40 years from 1971 through 2010, the likelihood that
a species would be missed entirely was consistent with Ken's impression:

Red-winged Blackbird was missed 1/40 NYSN, 0/40 NYMK, 1/40 RISK;
Common Grackle was missed 12/40 NYSN, 10/40 NYMK, 5/40 RISK;
Brown-headed Cowbird was missed 3/40 NYSN, 6/40 NYMK, 0/40 RISK

But maximum abundance was more consistent with Steve's impression:

Red-winged Blackbird 316 NYSN, 1540 NYMK, 551 RISK;
Common Grackle 264 NYSN, 3399 NYMK, 2753 RISK;
Brown-headed Cowbird 504 NYSN, 502 NYMK, 581 RISK

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore