Today I finished my section of the waterfowl count in the Napeague area
(Suffolk Co.) The waterfowl was incredibly uneventful.

I found the immature NORTHERN SHRIKE along Lazy Point Rd, sitting on the
Osprey nest.

At Hither Hills State Park campground I found 1 American Pipit, 3
White-crowned Sparrows & 5 Am. Tree Sparrows.

The ocean was very quiet with very few birds of any sort. Red-throated Loons
were especially scarce and last weekend's count at Montauk Point and
vicinity was a mere 6 individuals. Today's count was even lower until I
arrived at Napeague Lane in the "Beachampton" section of Amagansett where I
observed a most interesting event. A feeding flock of gulls developed and
from nowhere there were at least 75 Red-throated Loons arriving from the
southwest. It is common knowledge in these parts that when the extreme cold
periods of winter arrive, Red-throated Loons disappear. I had always assumed
that they head farther south, but today's event made me wonder if they don't
move farther offshore

The most frustrating moment of the day occurred at Atlantic Avenue in
Amagansett. I was scanning the ocean and came upon a small grebe; my
immediate identification was "Eared." However, it dove within a few second,
and I never found it again. So, while I won't claim the species in my
report, this location is only a few miles from where I found an Eared Grebe
on the Christmas Bird Count about a month ago. It might be worth scanning
the ocean between East Hampton and Amagansett in case the Eared Grebe is
still around.

Finally there were 2 adult GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE along Further Lane in
the gi-normous hedged estate across from the big lawn where they have spent
much of the winter.

Hugh
--
Hugh McGuinness