Sue and I ventured out to Montauk Pt. today on what the National Weather
Service promised to be a relatively calm day (winds of 6-9mph).  On our way out
we passed a group of fifteen Wild Turkeys perched in trees on the south side of
Montauk State Parkway. Once at the point (about 7:00AM) we could not help but
notice that the winds were more in the 10-20 mph range. We searched in vain for
our three target species - King Eider, Red-necked Grebe and Black-legged
Kittiwake. Finally, on the bluffs at Camp Hero State Park we found a female
KIng Eider fairly close to shore. On our way back from the Point we picked up a
1st year Red-shouldered Hawk in the shrubbery bordering the small frozen pond
just west of the entrance to Theodore Roosevelt County Park. We then proceeded
to Vicki Bustamante's neighborhood for a chance at the Western Tanager. Shortly
after we arrived we saw the bird in the shrubbery at the NW corner of the
intersection of Big Reed Path and Deer Way. As more birders arrived the Tanager
was staying out of sight, perhaps due to an amazingly tame (or hungry) Merlin
that was hanging out in the yard north of the shrubs. The feeders at Vicki's
neighbor's home were busy; we observed Fox, White-crowned, Tree, White-throated
and Song Sparrows. Finally, the bird seemingly came out of nowhere and perched
on a branch giving good views to all (Mary Normandia and husband Sam, Sam
Janazzo, Pat Jones, Joe Giunta, and our host Vicki). While the Tanager vigil
was in progress Mary Normandia pointed out an immature Bald Eagle flying high
over the assembled birders.

By the time we arrived at the Lake Montauk jetty the winds had subsided
somewhat, and Pat Jones quickly picked out the second winter Iceland Gull that
has been a fixture in the area these past few weeks. On the way down East Lake
Drive we picked up Brown Thrasher, my third one for the month. Culloden Point
proved a bust, but a feeder along the road had at least twenty male Red-winged
Blackbirds (migrants perhaps?). We were unable to locate the Northern Shrike
(we seem to be in good company in that regard), but were pleased to observe
from the boat launch ramp at Lazy Point a gorgeous male Snowy Owl on Hicks
Island (Northwest side of Napeague Harbor). The owl was feeding on dark-colored
bird that we tentatively identified as a Black Scoter. We proceeded to the
terminus of Atlantic Avenue in Amagansett and searched for the possible Eared
Grebe with no luck. This location was the only place where we found more than
one Red-throated Loon the whole trip (none at the Point!).

Ken & Sue Feustel