At Connetquot River State Park this morning there were 202 Common Mergansers on
the lower river. The trail east of the river was very quiet; our only bird on
this portion of the hike was a single Golden-crowned Kinglet. At the feeders
just west of the fish hatchery we found a young male White-winged Crossbill.
The bird abandoned the sunflower seed feeder and went to the top of some
adjacent Norway Spruce (cones hanging down) to feed.

At nearby Bayard Cutting Arboretum there were few birds, but the highlight were
some scolding Blue Jays in some mixed conifers that were bothering a sleeping
Eastern Screech Owl. It should be noted that the trails at both parks were
extremely icy - walking off the trails through the snow often gave better
traction.

Ken & Sue Feustel