To: swalte...@verizon.net; NYSbirds-L@cornell.edu
Subject: Re: [nysbirds-l] Cooper's Hawk still around
From: iwarsha...@aol.com
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 01:38:45 +0000

I have Cooper's Hawks occasionally in the winter @ my house in Wallkill NY near
New Paltz and several overwinter in Central Park so 1) is out. Irene

From: "Steve Walter" <swalte...@verizon.net>
Sender: bounce-7952704-3714...@list.cornell.edu
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 18:35:28 -0500
To: NYS Birds<NYSbirds-L@cornell.edu>
ReplyTo: "Steve Walter" <swalte...@verizon.net>

We've heard a lot about this Cooper's Hawk. Maybe I'm missing the point, but
there could be something special about it? I'm guessing maybe one of the
following:

1) First one known to overwinter in New York
2) A trailblazer in adapting to suburbia and visiting back yards
3) It's maintaining a territory, unique among birds
4) Unusual in its preference for bird prey
5) Persistent in trying to get Hermit Thrush on its year list