Dear NY Birders,

With regards to the EARED GREBES recently found on Eastern Long Island, I
have little doubt that there are actually two different individuals: the one
at Ditch Plains, Montauk and the other at Amagansett. The location where
Carl Starace found the Amagansett bird was the same place I found an
apparent Eared Grebe on the waterfowl count in January. This bird dived
within about 3 seconds of me finding it and I was unable to locate it again,
but at the time I felt certain it was an Eared Grebe. (I did not put it on
my waterfowl count list, however, b/c of the quick view.) Further, this
location is only a few miles from where my party found an Eared Grebe on the
CBC in December, so I suspect that there has been a single wandering
individual that has wintered off East Hampton and Amagansett. I wonder if
someone got a photo of the Montauk bird that could be compared by those of
us who have seen the Amagansett bird so that we may evaluate the two-bird
hypothesis.

Hugh

--
Hugh McGuinness