I birded a few spots in Queens with Corey Finger and Isaac Grant today. At Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge the "Eurasian" Green-winged Teal continues on the West Pond. We encountered a flock of 24 Common Redpolls feeding in birch trees in the East Garden. Waterfowl on the East Pond included 11 Redhead, 5 Common Mergansers, and one Canvasback. About 1400 Greater Scaup were on the ponds, and about 1500 Snow Geese in the marshes, including one blue-phase bird. In the small marsh just east of the ball fields at Big Egg Marsh, we had 2 Saltmarsh Sparrows. Riis Park and Ft. Tilden were virtually devoid of gulls at around 11:30 in the strong winds. Baisley Pond Park in South Jamaica had a nice assortment of waterfowl including 25 Redhead. A Tree Swallow was flying over the pond. The Common Raven nest in Kew Gardens now appears to be fully constructed, though we did not see the ravens in our brief visit.

Seth Ausubel
Forest Hills, NY