From: rada...@msn.com
To: nysbirds-l-requ...@cornell.edu
Subject: An afternoon of selective birding on the South Fork of L.I.
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 01:43:05 -0400

Starting with the pair of Ospreys atop their nest (at least 3rd year in a row)
at the smelly, noisy, and busy intersection of Flanders Rd. (Rt. 24) & Rt. 105,
Flanders, and ending with Buffleheads in Mecox Bay, Thursday's birding, with my
eldest daughter Susan, was fun, even though it was raining most of the time.
Susan, and granddaughter Isabelle, visiting from Evanston, Il., almost
literally, spent much of today at opposite ends of L.I. While we were out east,
"Nanny" & "Issy" traveled west to the "big city". While they stopped at Grand
Central Station, The NYC Public Library, the Flower Show at Macy's,
Rockerfeller Center & St. Patrick's Cathedral, and eating in a diner which
featured singing waiters, we stopped at Short's Pond, Bridgehampton, with the
sharp eyed Susan spotting "a goose that was smaller than the rest", which
became her "life" Richardson's Cackling Goose. Before leaving that location,
she also picked up 2 more new species, A. Wigeon & Ruddy Duck.At Montauk Inlet
she added G. Cormorant & C. Eider (3 adult males swimming inside) to that list.
Ditto for Black Scoters, White-winged Scoters, and Red-breasted Merganser at
Ditch Plains. Black Duck at the village park on David's La., and 13-20 W.
Turkeys off Georgica Rd. (both in E. Hampton) were also "lifer's" for my game
daughter !
Cheers, Bob