How apropos, but I planned it that way: two hours in the Refuge before this evening's Jamaica Bay Task Force meeting to discuss deranged plans to expand JKF runways into Bay. Highlights were the little blue heron; ospreys mating; very close blue-winged teal; two gangs of Black-crowned night herons; flushing a Wilson's snipe from the very muddy South Garden. Would have thought that area would be more Woodcock terrain, but I had a good view of its russet tail.
Snow Goose     X
Brant     X
Canada Goose     X
Mute Swan     X
Gadwall     X
American Black Duck     X
Mallard     X
Blue-winged Teal     5 (East Pond)
Northern Shoveler     X
Green-winged Teal (American)     3 (West Pond)
Greater Scaup     X
Bufflehead     X
Red-breasted Merganser     X
Ruddy Duck     X
Double-crested Cormorant     X
Great Blue Heron     1
Great Egret     4
Snowy Egret     5
Little Blue Heron     1
Black-crowned Night-Heron     30 (clustered at Big John's Pond from Bench 4, West Pond)
Glossy Ibis     25
Osprey     4 (bayside nest and Crossbay Blvd nest)
Northern Harrier     1  (East Pond)
American Oystercatcher     6
Wilson's Snipe     1 (South Garden)
Laughing Gull     X
Ring-billed Gull     X
Herring Gull     X
Herring Gull (American)     X
Great Black-backed Gull     X
Rock Pigeon     X
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker     1 (South Garden)
Eastern Phoebe     2
American Crow     X
American Robin     X
Northern Mockingbird     2