From: rada...@msn.com
To: nysbirds-l@cornell.edu
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 23:32:04 -0400

Today, after reading Johnny C's morning post to LongIslandBirds.com re: the
Rocky Point DEC Property, I decided to try that location for the very first
time. I arrived at 1135, certainly not the optimum time, but it did produce
some interesting sightings. It was hot... but the warblers were not- although I
did manage to see  2 Palm, 2 Pine and a Black & White. My FOS Swainson's
Thrush, was a bit problematic, due to it's best resembling, an Olive-Backed
(Taiga/Interior West) bird.
For the 2nd time in less than a week, I had a small, brownish bat working over
a dirt road in a pine/oak woods. I was able to see the underside of this animal
better than on the first (it flew right overhead) with the whole body being
dark brown/ black, and the wings & tail area very light (whitish). As with the
first sighting, any comments would be appreciated.
I also had my FOS "Mourning Cloak" butterfly (about 4) on this 2 hour mid-day
jaunt, just a short distance from beautiful, downtown Rocky Point !
Cheers, Bob