Thursday, 5 May, 2011 -  Central Park, Manhattan, N.Y. City

A non-singing Kentucky Warbler is still present on the south / lower
slope of the Great Hill, just above the north path along The Pool,
nearest the West 103 St. park entrance.  I was alerted to the bird by
a single sharp "tsek" note (a call, not a song) & then had several
close views as it skulked in shrubs within the fenced area a short way
east of a large "balancing" boulder - this area is accessible by a
small wood-chipped foot path or simply by peering in from the path
along the Pool's north side. There is a lot of dense shrubbery around
- good for that bird, and a bit difficult to follow - I left it after
3 rather brief but close viewings, at exactly 9:18-9:20 a.m.  This is
certainly the same non-singing individual present in the same area on
Tuesday. It may roam a fairly wide area, perhaps up to or more than
100 yards on that slope (typical of visiting Kentuckys, at least in
many instances in Central over the years). It would be a lot easier to
locate again if it were to sing - and anyone who does hear, indeed any
sought-after songbird or even any bird that vocalizes at all, ought
report the vocalization, if heard - this is greatly helpful to those
of us who bird by ear as much as by eyesight.  The area described
above is approximately 100 yards or less east of Central Park West at
103 Street. Good luck if you go.

Also about the north end are a wide variety, if less-than-stunning
numbers, of migrants with warblers strongly featured again. Later in
the day or tonight, I'll report on any further sightings.

Good birding,

Tom Fiore,
Manhattan