Sue and I began our Sunday trip at the County Road 51 bike trail, where we
hiked north up to its intersection with a dirt road leading southwest from the
Hunter's Garden entrance road. We found neither the previously reported Blue
Grosbeak or Summer Tanager. On our way up we heard our FOS Yellow-billed Cuckoo
calling, and were able to get good looks at a calling Acadian Flycatcher near
the north end of the bike trail. A group of male Wild Turkeys were displaying
for a few females in the farm field west of the bike trail.

Our next stop was Dune Road, birding from Tiana Beach to Pike's Beach.
Shorebirds were present in good number but low variety. The three most numerous
were Ruddy Turnstone, Sanderling, and Semipalmated Sandpiper. On the ocean at
Pike's we noted a flyby Black Tern, and a pair of Roseate Terns flew by the
North end of Triton Lane. No luck on John Gluth's Least Bittern, which we did
not anticipate staying around. A Tricolored Heron was just west of Tiana Beach.
Our observations of shorebirds at Tiana Beach was interrupted by a young
Peregrine Falcon, who proceeded to scatter the flocks of shorebirds all over
the bay.

We finished our trip at the Calverton Grasslands, where Grasshopper Sparrow was
present in good numbers around the EPCAL runways, in addition to Eastern
Meadowlark, Horned Lark, and American Kestrel.

Ken & Sue Feustel