Massawepie Mire, Southeastern St. Lawrence Co., overcast with occasional
brief showers

Ten people took part in the NYS Ornithological Association's field trip to
Massawepie Mire on Saturday.  (Sorry for the delayed post, but I am with a
family member in the hospital in Albany.)  With all the recent rain deluges,
the road in was washed out in places (but still traversable) and the dirt
road we hiked into the mire was wetter than I have ever seen it.  It was so
wet that Mallards were making use of the vernal pools!  Mosquitoes were
intense in the warm, humid conditions.  The few times that the sun broke
out, the mosquitoes died down and black flies came out!

One of the things that I most enjoy about birding is finding unexpected
species - we found 2 on Saturday.  Just before we went out into the open
bog, I heard a Brown Thrasher!  It was perched in the middle of the bog.  As
we approached it, two Grays Jays flew off - it appeared they had been
harassing the thrasher.  I continued to hear the Brown Thrasher's loud
vocalizations during our traverse of the huge bog.  On our hike out, just
before the first bridge, I hung back from the group a bit to listen for
Black-backed Woodpeckers (the last likely spot on our hike out) and instead,
I heard a Field Sparrow sing in mature boreal habitat!  I caught up with
everyone at the bridge and asked if anyone lives among Field Sparrows and
when they had returned.  I was told quite some time ago, so this bird was
not likely a migrant.  As it turns out, I received a phone call from Sean
O'Brien yesterday to tell me he had visited Massawepie Mire on Monday with
Ted Mack and they too found a singing Field Sparrow!  (They found the bird
in the same vicinity.)  He also called Larry Master who told Sean that a
Field Sparrow once spent an entire season at Bloomingdale Bog.  It will be
interesting to see if this Field Sparrow spends the breeding season at
Massawepie Mire.

We found 58 species, including 16 warbler species and 7 sparrow species.
Northern Waterthrushes can be found in an area with many Canada Warblers,
but were not singing by the time our group reached that location.  Pine
Warblers can sometimes be found on the hike, but can definitely be found
along the Mountaineer Trail, which we did not hike.  I heard 5 singing
Mourning Warblers, and there are even more found by continuing to drive
straight at the 4 corners location for ~ 1.5 miles to a metal gate - an area
that has been heavily logged.  We did not have time to drive this section.
That area also has many Indigo Buntings and a Veery.  Eastern Phoebes were
missing from the bridge locations, and this is the first year we failed to
find a Gray Catbird near our parking location.  Logging operations continue
on the perimeter of the bog.

Here are some of the 58 species found:

Spruce Grouse - 1 male!  On our hike out, Bill Schneider yelled that he saw
a Spruce Grouse.  We looked up and the grouse flew up from the dirt road
into a tree, then dropped back down onto the road and walked straight toward
us!  It got within 15 feet (we didn't need binocs) and then tried to go
around us by going into the brushy habitat along the road.  We were all
still as statues as the grouse approached us.  Instead of continuing past
us, it paralleled us as we continue our hike out.  This was certainly a
birding highlight of my year!

Bald Eagle - 2, soaring together

Broad-winged Hawk

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

Northern Flicker

Pileated Woodpecker

Eastern Wood Pewee

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher

Alder Flycatcher

Least Flycatcher

Blue-headed Vireo

Gray Jay - 2

Common Raven

Tree Swallow

Red-breasted Nuthatch

Brown Creeper

Winter Wren

Golden-crowned Kinglet

Eastern Bluebird - several

Hermit Thrush

Brown Thrasher

Cedar Waxwing

Warblers: Nashville, Northern Parula, Yellow, Chestnut-sided, Magnolia,
Black-throated Blue, Yellow-rumped, Black-throated Green, Blackburnian,
Palm, Black-and-white, Amer. Redstart, Ovenbird, Mourning, Common
Yellowthroat, and Canada.

Sparrows: Chipping, Field, Song, Lincoln's, Swamp, White-throated, and
Dark-eyed Junco

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Purple Finch

The cone crop developing on the spruces is quite remarkable!

Eight in our group had a late lunch at the "Thirsty Moose Pub & Grub" a
short distance from Massawepie.

Observers (I don't have the list of observers' hometowns with me):

Janet Allison - Minerva & ?downstate

Clint Anglin - Troy

Joan Collins - Long Lake (leader)

Michael Greco - Albany

Naomi Jaffe - Troy

Celeste Morien - Buffalo area

Gwen Morien - Buffalo area

Kathy & Bill Schneider - Newcomb & Stuyvesant

Mike J. - Watertown