It was a real mixed bag at the Bashakill today.  We have had three days of
torrential rains at the worst possible time.  Common Moorhen eggs should have
been hatching in the next couple of days. When I arrived at the Bashakill
around 9 am I found Haven road under a foot of water.  This means the water
level is three to four feet above flood stage.  We were poised to have one of
the best marsh bird breeding seasons in years.  I found six pairs (12 birds) of
Common Moorhen from Haven Road.  All had lost their nests and some were still
frantically trying to salvage nests underwater.  One pair continued to add
vegetation to the nest oblivious to the fact that their eggs were gone.  I then
kayaked the channel from the main boat launch on South Road.  I found another
four pairs (8 birds) that had lost their nests.  I also heard an additional
five birds that I could not see.  At the south end of the channel, I found four
birds that were all very far apart, not acting unusual nor being frantic in any
way.  This area is shallower than the rest of the Bash and the vegetation grows
higher out of the water.  I suspect these birds nests may have been safe.  That
was a total of 28 COMH today. As I completed the circuit of the channel, I saw
a Least Bittern fly out of a bush and land in some vegetation.  Just as I
located the bird, an adult Least Bittern joined it.  I first thought the bird
was a female, but as I studied and photographed it, it became pretty clear it
was a juvenile.  I had to check my books and the internet with my photos when I
got home, and it was indeed a juvenile Least Bittern.  This is the first time
that a juvenile has been found in the county and breeding confirmed. I know
that we have at least 3 pairs of LB this year, so this is a great find,
especially since a first nesting could have been lost to the floods.  As I left
the area, I heard a Pied-billed Grebe calling.  Lastly, when I first arrived
this morning I found a winter plumage BLACK TERN  off Haven Road.  The bird
remained then entire day, allowing for Arlene Borko, Scott Baldinger and
finally this afternoon, Lance Verderame to get to see it. The situation is very
sad for the Moorhens, but it is only June 24th and they have time to nest again
this year.  Hopefully these rains will stop before they have eggs again.  I put
some pics of the two Least Bitterns on my blog today.  If anyone is interested
in seeing them go to http://bashakillbirder.wordpress.com    John Haas

PS. no Sora, Virginia Rails, American Bittern nor American Coot were seen today.