I visited 3 of my regular spots in S. Nassau today.....(Sunday - July 3,
7-12PM) starting at Nickerson Beach, then Lido Passive Nature Center and
finishing up at Jones Beach West End (JBWE) with pretty much expected species
in  expected numbers for around this time, with the exception an incredible
number of Lesser Black-backed Gulls found at both Nickerson and JBWE. Of
the roughly 125 non-breeding Gulls loafing around just west of the Tern
colonies  at Nickerson were initially 11 LBB Gulls. After turning my attention
elsewhere,  and having noticed that group had re-assembled after a vehicle
disruption, I  took another count and came up with 15! These included 6 -1st
Summer, 6 - 2nd  Summer and 3 - 3rd Summer birds. JBWE had 3 more on the beach
and a bright 3rd  summer bird in the Parking Lot. The birds on the beach
were 2 - 1st Summer  and 1 - 3rd summer for a total of 19 on the day - by far
the highest tally I've  ever had in 1 outing.

Least Terns were generally down in numbers at Nickerson, but there seemed
to be more than usual at JBWE than last year, and recent years. A 1/2 hour
sea-watch from Nickerson (which usually isn't productive) turned up 2
Wilson's  Storm-Petrels and a near-adult Common Eider. Piping Plovers may be a
bit
down at  Nickerson, but I noticed at least 14 at JBWE with many cages up,
and at least 5  chicks in the swale. A fresh juvenile Laughing Gull on the
sandbar near the CG  Station is a nice early date.

Bobby Berlingeri
Elmont, NY