A forty five minute visit to the pond in the Massapequa Preserve tonight proved
fruitful with a male least bittern twice flying from the southeastern portion
of the pond to the northeastern portion of the pond and back.  While I'm not
sure what the reasons are for this behavior, it is the same flight seen two
nights ago when I first discovered him as well as last night when I saw him do
the same thing. He seems to prefer the phragmites stand that is about eight
feet south of the willow tree along the shore edge in the southeastern part of
the pond as well as the small open area in the northeastern section of the
pond, near where a storm water pipe once flowed into the creek, preferentially
alternating between the two spots.

John Turner