The escape from the Bronx Zoo was in 1995.  I don't know much about this
species, but I would think 20 years might be a reasonable life span.

Bob Lewis
Sleepy Hollow NY

http://www.sharonlbegley.com/great-escape-birds-flee-the-bronx-coop

________________________________

As usual the difficulty of accepting a rarity of this magnitude lies
in trying to establish its provenance. Not to play Devil's advocate, but I feel
like I have seen this species at the Bronx Zoo, and seem to remember an
incident many years ago when that same aviary was breached by some inclement
weather. I think it was too many years ago for it to relate to this particular
bird, but it shows such a scenario is possible.

I wouldn't consider myself an expert at judging the wear of feathers of birds
kept in captivity, but  it is often brought up in discussing vagrants-as
recently as the Hooded Crow on Staten Island. The wonderful flight photos that
Andrew Baksh took seem to show a large amount of wear on the tips of the
primaries and the tail feathers (I might even call them tattered). Food for
thought?

anyway...I would be remiss if I didn't thank my wife for being so understanding
as to let me chase this bird on her birthday! Let's hope it stays around
awhile...

Best regards,
Shane Blodgett
Brooklyn NY