The Gray-Hooded Gull (as many of you already know) was present again today.
As I left the boardwalk at Coney Island someone (Edna) said, "Oh, I thought
I was going to be the sacrificial birder". To which I replied..."Well, now
you should hang around a little longer". Around 15 minutes later and around
5 exits east on the Belt Parkway I received calls from Sandy, Tom and Steve
Walter that the bird had (re)appeared. Cool!

I started birding at the late age of 35 around 15 or so years ago. I have
read that an older brain can never catch up to a brain that started birding
(or a lot of things for that matter) at a young age. That has been evidenced
to me more and more as time passes J.

As late as ten years ago not everyone had cell  (smart!) phones.  But, today
the sacrificial birder was redeemed by technology and some very nice guys
and one  friend I hadn't seen in years.  Thanks you guys, you helped this
late starter find #600. Much appreciated..let's see if it actually ends up
counting   :-O

BTW, There were also 2 Lesser Black-backed Gulls among the other (more
common) gulls seen today.

Good birding and good weekend..

Patrick Santinello

Eastport, NY