You have to love New York or should I say love Coney Island!
  Thanks to the wonderful posts from New York birders I waited to 2:00pm to
make the drive from NJ.  When I arrived at Coney Island at 3:20pm (low tide was
2:04pm) I was somewhat disheartened by the thousands of people on the beach.
How would I ever find a rare bird?  Lacking the usual clue of another birder I
followed the advise of an earlier post and walked on the beach near the Ferris
Wheel and the artificial palm tree spewing cooling water in the air.  As I was
admiring this "tree" a distinctive gull flew by and I was beside myself---even
without bins I could tell that the bird matched the internet photos of a
Gray-hooded gull.  I watched it keep circling the palm tree and then land on a
yellow pole before chasing after food near the boardwalk with a small group of
Laughing Gulls.  This went on for another twenty minutes during which I was
joined by several other birders.  I celebrated with a Nathan's hotdog and
orangeade before one last stroll on the beach that produced two Boa snakes,
each wrapped around the arms of some strolling beachgoers!  It was truly a
surreal day.
Vincent Nichnadowicz, Princeton Jct., NJ