August 26  -   I observed the Great Egret Colony  above the Horseshoe Falls
from Three Sisters Islands, Goat Island, Niagara  Falls, New York. At 10:50
AM, I could see as many as eight in active Great  Egrets.  At 11:00 AM one
had left,  but I found two more to the far left (upstream) in front of the
Engineerium.  At 11:07 an adult  Great Egret flew in and landed next to two
nestlings, which suddenly became  three nestlings. One of the nestlings
stuck its head far down the adult’s throat  and appeared to consume all of the
food.  The adult flew away after feeding the young.  All three egret
nestlings were wildly  flapping their wings.  At 11:19 AM a  second adult
landed
next the far left Great Egret and suddenly what I was  counting as one Great
Egret for the past thirteen minutes became three nestling  Great Egrets! The
adult was only on the small island about a minute, at which  time I had a
total of 14 Great Egrets.  Since the adults only stayed a minute or two during
the feeding period, I  assume the thirteen inactive (except when feeding)
egrets were all nestlings. At  11:30 AM I could only see eleven egrets, since
the two to the far left had  slipped back into the foliage. At 11:45 AM I
stopped observing. Based on the  feeding activity and position of the
nestlings there appears to be five egret  nests on the island above the
Horseshoe
(Canadian) Falls and at least 13  nestlings. Note: The late date for Great
Egret nestling is July 25 in The  Second Atlas of Breeding Birds in New York
State.  Does anyone know the late nesting date  for Great Egret nestlings in
Ontario?  If so, please respond to me privately. I suspect this will be a new
late  record for Ontario.
In  the bushes and trees near the south end of Goat Island there was a good
fall-out  of warblers and migrants. In watching one group of warblers move
to another  group of bushes, I counted 30 warblers. There was at least 11
species of  warblers including Ovenbird, American Redstart, Blackburnian,
Chestnut-sided,  Magnolia, Bay-breasted, Canada, Black-and-white, and
Black-throated Blue  Warblers.
Bill Watson
Buffalo Ornithological Society