After finding that Robert Moses SP was closed (no surprise), I went to
Heckscher SP at about 12:30,, and found the previously reported Baird's
Sandpiper feeding actively in puddles in Field 7. (The lot was closed to
cars, but easily observed.) A Pectoral Sandpiper flew in and lingered
briefly before flying out with the several Least and Semipalmated Sandpipers
that were already there.  Earlier, I had seen another Pectoral in the now
very wet swale south of Field 2 at Joes Beach West End, where I was beset by
fierce hordes of mosquitoes.
Before and after visiting Heckscher, I did some seawatching from the
boardwalk shelter at Jones Beach Field 6. Visibility was poor both times,
and I saw only a few gulls and distant terns over the ocean. Large flocks of
the common gulls were on the beach. The park was scheduled to close at 4 pm.

Doug Futuyma
Stony Brook, NY