Pardon the tone of this post if it comes across as brooding or sarcastic,
but I had the misfortune of completely striking out on storm-borne pelagic
waifs today. A lack of hurricane birding savvy, a delayed start to my day
afield (didn't get out until after 1:00), and circumstances beyond my
control‹lack of access due to storm-caused closures, and flooding‹all added
up to a somewhat dispiriting time.

I'd wanted to check parking field #7 at Heckscher State Park for shorebirds,
terns and gulls. But of course Heckscher, like all waterfront state parks
today, was closed. Nearby Timberpoint Country Club was next on my itinerary.
I wanted to check the golf course and the bay at the mouth of the Connetquot
River. It too was closed, as were the two small town parks on the riverfront
farther up Great River Road. A backup destination, the marina at the end of
Vanderbilt Avenue in Oakdale, which is across the river from Timberpoint,
was unreachable due to flooding. Having been thus far thwarted from even
getting to a south shore vantage point to try for storm-entrained pelagics,
I headed inland to Lake Ronkonkoma. Luck finally smiled upon me and I was
able get there, despite having to take some detours. I did find a few terns
there, but they were of the more mundane variety‹2 Blacks (both juveniles),
2 Forster's, and 3 unidentified sternas (up high and going away).

I headed down to the ocean next, but figured I'd already missed any
reasonable chance at the birds seen earlier in the day, so I did not go all
the way to Jones Beach west end (it was close to 4:00 by then). Instead
I did a sea watch from the pavilion at Overlook Beach (Town of Babylon) for
~45 minutes. There I spotted another Black Tern flying east and 2 Royal
Terns trying to power through the westerly headwind. Also had a single male
Black Scoter fly by going east. Probably the most notable sighting though
was the hapless Long-tailed Duck getting sand blasted on the windswept
beach. For reasons known only to the bird, it was sitting on a higher part
of the beach half obscured by the mist of dry sand, instead of down
alongside the large tidal overwash pool where the sand was wet. But it was
busily preening, as if nothing was out of the ordinary. It flapped its wings
once, revealing very worn/molting remiges, so it likely couldn't fly. This
was confirmed when it just sidestepped away from any closely passing
beachgoers (who for reasons known only to them, were willfully subjecting
themselves to a free derm abrasion).

I finished my lamentable hurricane bird search at Oak Beach Park. There
I ran into Shai Mitra and Pat Lindsay, and later Brent Bomkamp and his dad.
They all recounted the great birds they'd seen or heard about, but were
kind enough not to let the slightest tone of gloating creep into their
tales. As for the birds I saw out over the roiled waters of Fire Island
inlet, they included one unidentified Storm-petrel (too far out to be sure,
but probably Wilson's), and a flyby shorebird duo‹a Short-billed Dowitcher
and a White-rumped Sandpiper. So, when's the next hurricane?