We decided to head out east early this morning, in hopes of finding some of the
previously reported Hurricane Irene birds. Our previous experiences with day
old hurricane strays did not bode well:  the vast majority of these birds seem
to leave as soon as the storm abates. The one exception to this rule seems to
be Sandwich Tern, which we have seen a few days after a hurricane. Such was the
case today, when arriving at Mecox Inlet our first bird was a Sandwich Tern,
sitting on a pole in Mecox Bay. We eventually observed five more at the cut, as
well as Black Tern (16), Caspian Tern (2), Royal Tern (5)., as well as Common,
Forster's and Least Terns. At Sagaponack Pond we did not see much except for a
flyby Whimbrel and three Black Terns. The road to Hook Pond was closed on the
west  side so we drove over to the east side and walked west down the beach
from the parking lot south of the Maidstone Club  - the pond was empty. We
decided to try the west side of Napeague Harbor, where we were able to bird for
a half hour before the Town of East Hampton kicked us out (no permit). We
picked up an additional Sandwich Tern, as well as Roseate Tern (1). We had
called ahead and knew that Montauk Point State Park was closed, and traffic was
starting to get heavy, so we packed it in. The day was pretty much what we
expected, but you never know! I Other birders were out east today and they may
have seen some additional species.

Ken Feustel