Hamlin Beach (on the south shore of Lake Ontario in Monroe County) has
produced some interesting birds over the past few days.  The standout
highlight for me was a flock of SIX (6) juvenile SABINE'S GULLS that flew
east together with three Common Terns.  I first noticed a group of birds
milling about over the water to the west.  When I put the scope on them I
could immediately see there were a couple of Sabine's Gulls, and as I worked
through the small flock I was surprised to see that most of them were.  The
entire group slowly moved past me going east, providing excellent scope
views as the gulls periodically wheeled and dipped down to the water as they
flew by.  These were all juveniles with brown backs and inner wings offset
by deep black outer primaries and bright white inner primaries and
secondaries and black visible on the tail.  Even when they had gone past me
to the east, so I was looking at them into the morning sun, they were easy
to pick out by virtue of light shining through the transluscent white
triangle on the wings.  There have been numbers of Sabine's Gulls in Ontario
at the west end of the lake (up to 18 yesterday) but I was still pleasantly
surprised to see these birds - the highest number and closest looks I have
had here.

The other highlight today in 1.5 hours of watching was an excellent number
of BLUE-WINGED TEAL.  These were mostly moving past in uniform flocks of
15-35, with only a few Green-winged Teal mixed in.  The total count by the
time I had to leave was 282.

Yesterday (9/11) featured an adult LITTLE GULL in basic plumage.  This bird
moved east around 9:30 am with a handful of Bonaparte's Gulls, but left that
group to settle on the water with Ring-billed Gulls in front of parking area
#3.  Dominic Sherony & I moved down there and got good scope looks and poor
pictures as it sat on the water.  At around 10:30 am, after we had moved
back to the overlook at field #4, the Little Gull flew back past us going
west.  Other highlights Sunday included an American Golden Plover that flew
south overhead off the lake, a moderate flight of Common Loons (21), and
single Horned and Red-necked Grebes sitting in front of the overlook.

On Friday (9/10) visibility was limited due to distortion and fog over the
lake, but there was one juvenile PARASITIC JAEGER and one JAEGER SP. moving
east.  There was also a decent variety of waterfowl including several flocks
of Northern Pintail and small numbers of Blue-winged and Green-winged Teal,
American Wigeon, Black Duck, Red-breasted Merganser (4) and Greater Scaup
(1).

Cheers,
Andy Guthrie
Hamlin, NY