With the help of Don Davis, I recorded a daily site record 142 Ospreys
migrating past Fort Tilden (Queens) today. Also seen flying by were
something on the order of 60 to 70 Atlantic Menhaden. Yes, the guys were
having a good fishing day off Tilden and Riis Park. With a total flight of
about 300 hawks, the Ospreys comprised about 47% of the flight, very similar
to last Sunday (in smaller numbers). That’s certainly unusual, but probably
all that means is that Ospreys are more reliable than other hawks in showing
up at Tilden under the marginal flight conditions we’ve been able to get
(such as a general overcast for much of the day).

Steve Walter

Bayside, NY