From: bounce-37731909-3714...@list.cornell.edu
[mailto:bounce-37731909-3714...@list.cornell.edu] On Behalf Of Rawshanks
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 4:50 PM
To: NYSBIRDS-L
Subject: [nysbirds-l] Hooded Crow - Great Kills Park, Staten Island 6/20

A Hooded Crow was seen and photographed by Seth Wollney (and later myself)
yesterday (6/20) at the Crookes Point "fisherman's" parking lot at Great Kills
Park on Staten Island. The bird was present until sundown yesterday, but has
not been relocated as of this morning. Supposedly, the bird had been present
for at least a few days prior and had been seen by some of the locals. There
has been some discussion about the origin of the bird and whether or not it may
constitute a legitimate wild individual or an escape.  If anyone on this list
could share some insight on the status of this bird in captivity, it would be
helpful.  Dick Veit and Shai Mitra have been contacted, and we are currently
waiting for their input. I will post the pictures to the Staten Island
Naturalist website later today (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sinaturalist). If
anyone goes for the bird, be aware that Crooke's Point allows parking by permit
only. You can park at the last paved lot and walk down the gravel road towards
the "fisherman's" lot.

Thanks.

-Mike Shanley

Subscribe, Configuration and