Joined by friends Chase Cammarota and John Dunican, we decided to take a
walk down to Democrat Point from RM Field 2. The first bird of interest was
a PURPLE SANDPIPER hanging out on the jetty at Democrat. We then made our
way down toward the peninsula when we discovered a single LAPLAND LONGSPUR
foraging along the inside of a vehicle tire track. The bird presented
excellent views and eventually took flight to toward the north side of the
pensinsula and over the dunes. The bird was seemingly unsettled, given the
number of falcons that were consistently working the entire peninsula. 2
peregrine, several merlin and norther harrier were present and quite
active. Chae was able to locate a Savannah Sparrow of
the "ipswich"population. The last birds of note were a single AMERICAN
PIPIT flyover and a 2nd winter LESSER BLACK BACKED GULL.

A good day on the pensinsula.

-Derek Rogers
Sayville, NY