Sue and I spent the morning and early afternoon birding at Caumsett State Park
where we encountered a nice mix of late migrants and new arrivals. Late
migrants included five Blackpoll Warblers ( feeding on the berries of the
invasive vines porcelain berry and mile-a-minute), a Pine Warbler, a
Yellow-breasted Chat and a Red-eyed Vireo. New arrivals this fall (for us)
included Tree (4) and Fox Sparrows (2), as well as five Purple Finch. We found
small flocks of Eastern Bluebirds throughout the park, eventually tallying
thirty-six individuals. Big numbers of Robins were making their way through the
park; we did not stop to count all the birds passing through, which must have
numbered in the thousands. However, we did record a modest seven hundred and
ten. Canada Geese numbers are growing at the park - we observed an estimated
995 birds that were constantly on the move with all the park patrons and
horseback riders present causing them to fly. No unusual geese were found,
however.  Five Rusty Blackbirds were present in the migrating robin flocks. All
in all a beautiful day in a beautiful park.

Ken & Sue Feustel