Reading Doug Futuyma's recent report from eastern Long Island reminded me that
I should have posted something regarding several interesting birds from last
weekend.

Perhaps most notable was LI's first Snowy Owl of the season, found by Patricia
Lindsay and me at Hicks Island, Napeague on Sunday. This bird appeared very
large and darkly marked, probably a juv female:

https://picasaweb.google.com/109808209543611018404/LongIslandFall2011#5677212244390371650

We called Angus Wilson, Willie, D'Anna, Betsy Potter, and Dave Gagne, with whom
we had been birding earlier in the day, and the bird cooperated for them and
for others through the day (Rich Fried say it fly off around dusk).

Earlier on Sunday, highlights at Montauk Pt included:

2 Red-necked Grebes
3 Black-legged Kittiwakes
1 Lesser Black-backed Gull
20+ Razorbills
1 Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (found by Starr Saphir and company)

The pink-billed Greater White-fronted Goose was present at Deep Hollow, as was
an orange-billed bird at Further Lane, East Hampton; additional Red-necked
Grebes were seen at Culloden Pt (1) and Fort Pond Bay (2-3), and we saw 3 more
Razorbills at Culloden.

The family of 5 Whistling Swans at Hook Pond flew out to the west as soon as
Pat and I arrived, around 2:40. We feared they had moved over to nearby
Georgica Pond, where they would be difficult for the others in our caravan to
see, but they had simply moved over to the small lobe of Hook Pond that is
visible from the road, immediately north of Main Beach.

On Saturday, Dave Gagne picked out the continuing Eared Grebe at Jamaica Bay.
The rest of us had scanned the bay south of the West Pond briefly but moved on
quickly to get out of the fierce sw wind. Showing true hawk-watcher fortitude,
Dave hung in for a few more minutes and found the grebe in the same area it has
been frequenting.

Later on Saturday morning, our group visited Jones Beach. There, we joined Tom
Burke and Gail Benson, who basically led us by the hand to see the 2 continuing
Marbled Godwits (very distant across the inlet, owing to the low tide), an
Orange-crowned Warbler, and Lapland Longspur in a big flock of Snow Buntings at
field 2.

A quick check of Capri Pond in West Islip yielded 6 Redheads.

We found 2 more Redheads at Patchogue Lake, but were utterly unable to find the
previously reported Eurasian Wigeon there. In the course of our searching (and
mindful of a comment from Doug Futuyma that he had seen an exceptional tally of
Ring-necked Ducks earlier at Eastport Pond) I carefully counted the Ring-necks
at Patchogue Lake, which came out at 414!

At this point, Willie asked whether this pond was a traditional spot for
Eurasian Wigeon, to which I answered, "Not really; nearby West Lake is usually
the more reliable spot." Pat and I departed at this point, only to be hauled
back by a call from Willie et al.: they had found a/the drake Eurasian Wigeon
at West Lake!

All told it was a challenging, often slow, but generally productive weekend,
enlivened by excellent company.

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore