Patricia Lindsay, Holly Wilson, and I participated in this year's exploratory
trial of a rare bird roundup on eastern Long Island.

We didn't find anything really rare, but we found a good variety of CBC-quality
species in our Southampton territory:

In the coastal scrub adjacent to the Mecox Bay inlet:

1 Marsh Wren
1 Ruby-crowned Kinglet
1 Orange-crowned Warbler
1 Western Palm Warbler
1 Pine Warbler
2 Yellow-breasted Chats

At Agawam Pond:

1 Richardson's Goose

Elsewhere we had a Yellow-bellied Sapasucker and 3 Gray Catbirds (our only ones
all day!) near the Mecox Dairy, 4 male Eastern Towhees (our only ones all day!)
along Noyac Path, and robust numbers of Northern Shovelers (6 at Shorts Pond &
47 at Old Towne Pond).

Some photos can be seen at:

https://picasaweb.google.com/109808209543611018404/LIRoundup2011

This interesting exercise was inspired by Doug Gochfeld, and for Patricia and
me also recalled the 16 year-old tradition of intensive CBC-style counts during
mid-November on nearby Block Island. It's a reminder that rare birds are
actually rare, and that common birds (like catbirds and towhees) do some
interesting things between November and December. I expect party totals for
catbird and towhee on the Sagaponack CBC will greatly exceed our tallies
yesterday!

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore