I found an unexpected Christmas present this afternoon. Not under the tree
in the house, but in the holly (and under the juniper hedge, and on the
feeders...) in my backyard. A new species for my yard list--a Dickcissel.
I get a horde of House Sparrows at my feeders every winter (~65 today)
and have been feeding birds for 17 years, so I guess it was inevitable
I'd get a Dickcissel eventually. Still, it was an exciting find. The bird
was quite aggressive when at one of my hanging feeders, giving loud,
harsh call notes and lunging at House Sparrows that crowded too close.
Photos of the bird (an apparent first-winter male) can be seen here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jgluth_brb/6571604173/in/set-72157626094030203