Hi all,

Over the past two days, Nick Sly and I have birded a variety of locations
across Long Island.  On Thursday (29-Dec), we checked the Massapequa
Preserve, where we were doing some scouting for the Southern Nassau CBC.
There, highlights included Brown Thrasher, Eastern Towhee, and 2 Fox
Sparrows.  Later in the day, we headed to Point Lookout with Drew Panko,
Trudy Battaly, and Mary Beth Billerman where we had 3 *Harlequin Ducks* (1
male, 2 female), 6 *Common Eider*, 1 *Red-necked Grebe* (in the inlet), and
1 adult *Black-legged Kittiwake* flying from east to west on the ocean
south of the inlet.

Today (Friday, 30-Dec), Nick Sly, Mary Beth Billerman and I headed east
toward Montauk.  While conditions seemed less than ideal for concentrating
good numbers of seabirds, we were pleasantly surprised by what we saw.
There were 10+ thousand scoters (all three species) and thousands of Common
Eider.  Good numbers of Razorbill were also flying past the point (over 100
over the course of the morning flew past the point between the lighthouse
and Camp Hero), and a single *Common Murre* that we observed sitting on the
water from Camp Hero.  We also saw 19 *Purple Sandpipers* on   A quick
check of Montauk Harbor turned up no cormorants, but there was an
adult *Iceland
Gull* loafing with the Herring Gulls on the jetty.

We ended the day watching the *Mountain Bluebird* in its usual spot just
east of Hulse Landing Rd. along Rt. 25a.

Good birding,

Shawn Billerman