Philip Dempsey and I spent the whole day birding in the Hamptons, working
from Montauk West to Shinecock Inlet (on the Southampton side).  First bird
of the year was an EASTERN SCREECH-OWL in my yard in East Hampton just
before dawn.  Best things today included an ICELAND GULL, a close female
KING EIDER, and 8 PURPLE SANDPIPERS at Camp Hero (along with many scoters,
gannets, razorbills, etc).  We had 2 RED-NECKED GREBES at Culloden Point, a
LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL at Napeague, and an immature GLAUCOUS GULL at Sag
Main (a huge very white one).   The Southampton ponds gave us 6 REDHEADS at
Coopers Neck Pond along with a good mix of more common ducks.  A late GREAT
EGRET along Dune Road in Southampton was trumped by a SNOWY OWL scoped from
the inlet.  Finally, in keeping with the large white birds theme, we had 4
SNOW GEESE (one "Blue Goose") along Town Line Road in Wainscott in the
fading light.