Today I boarded a Mackerel fishing trip out of Belmar with my brother Steve
and birder Marty Dellwo.  We first moved north and fished in NJ pelagic
waters out to about a dozen miles.  Fishing was OK, but the Capt. decided
to move towards a pack of fish off NY, and we worked an area a mere 4-6
miles off the beach.  Maybe somebody can identify where we were from the
photos I posted on the Paulagics Birding Facebook page?  The link to the
gallery is:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.140871612695560.28753.100003181671988&type=1&l=f7080e96d0

One of the big highlights were 10 DOVEKIES within a dozen or so miles of
shore.  The water out there is still warm (well, by Jan. standards for the
area) and so Dovekies don't seem to be completely pushed farther offshore.
7 COMMON MURRES were not at all unexpected.

Here are the results for the species I tabulated:
Common Loon - 15+
Northern Gannet - 100+
Great Blue Heron - 1 (about a dozen miles offshore)
Black-legged Kittiwake - 8 (5 NJ, 3 NY)
Dovekie - 10 (4 NJ, 6 NY)
Common Murre - 7 (3 NJ, 4 NY)
murre sp - 4
Razorbill - 34 (22 NJ, 12 NY)

Be sure to check out the photo gallery for this trip.  Photo opportunities
aren't the best from a fishing boat, but there's some identifiable stuff.

We are running trips to these same waters next weekend from Freeport, NY on
Sat. and from Belmar, NJ on Sun.  Hope to see some of you aboard.

-PAG

--
*Paul A. Guris
See Life Paulagics