I've known strong cold fronts in January to trigger movements of hawks,
Common Grackles, and winter finches. I can't say I've noticed it for run of
the mill passerines. But maybe there is a point in time when half hardies
give up on that. Considering how few passerines I've been seeing at Jones
Beach West End (not that I've tried so hard) and hearing other reports of
sparse activity, the amount of activity in the median strip today surprised
me. A flock of House Finches was most conspicuous, and that led me to
American Goldfinch, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Fox Sparrow, White-crowned
Sparrow, and several Dark-eyed Juncos (I'm assuming they haven't all been
there). Even Song Sparrows and Yellow-rumped Warblers seemed more evident,
for example some along the hedgerow by the Coast Guard station being
reminiscent of a migration scene.

I could be all wrong, but if I'm not, it poses an interesting thought. When
something like a Grace's Warbler is found on a CBC, it's assumed it's been
there since the end of normal migration waiting for someone to look in the
right place. Well, you can see where I'm going with this.

It might have been interesting to see if there was a visible early morning
flight, but I wasted that time on an obligatory and predictably futile
Gyrfalcon search. Well, not a total waste. At Wantaugh Park, where a past
Gyrfalcon wandered to, I came across a Harbor Seal frolicking in the marina
and affording close up shots rarely possible in their usual spots. Freaky,
actually, looking into its nostrils. Not much to see there, but if you're so
inclined it's at http://www.stevewalternature.com/

Steve Walter
Bayside, NY