Hi all,
An afternoon walk in New York City in the middle of January can hardly get
any better than today's walk - with or without dog. First stop was the AMNH
where I saw the Rufous Hummingbird for the first time in a week. Then in to
Central Park and when walking under some pine trees this blob shape caught
my eye, and sure enough - the blob was the Barred Owl. As it was close to
"fly-out time" I decided to stay around for a while. I was hoping to see it
start moving about and maybe even see it trying to catch a squirrel. Just
as it flew off from its roosting spot someone walked up behind me -
it was Jacob Drucker (shaky moment in video). Both of us got to watch it
take off and chase a couple of squirrels. It looked quite clumsy flying
through the branches, but it was thrilling to watch it. Twice it tried to
catch a squirrel by walking towards it along the branch on which they both
were.

A short video of the Rufous Hummingbird here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/landp/6717339393/

and a video capture of the Barred Owl shortly after fly-out here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/landp/6717334295/

good birding,

Anders Peltomaa
Manhattan