Around noon the beautiful white Snowy Owl was seen by several at Jones Beach,
the whitest owl I have ever seen. The few photographers were fairly close but
kept their distance and did not spook the bird during the hour or so we were
there. One photographer pointed out a white mouse that was moving in the dune
grass. My only guess is that some photographers had been trying to feed mice to
the owl to get it to move (shades of the Root Hawk Owl some years back). The
probability of a caged white mouse getting there in the dunes independently is
probably low.On the jetty were 6 Purple Sandpipers, a very close Razorbill
briefly just west of the jetty, both Loons, Common Eider & only a few Gannets.
A Peregrine was in the swale and also on the water tower. DK, RoseAnnReilly