Just before 3:30 this afternoon at Bayard Cutting Arboretum (Great River,
Suffolk Co.), while tallying ducks, geese and swans for the NYSOA Waterfowl
Count, I found a VIRGINIA RAIL. It was feeding along the south shoreline of
the cove that extends off the Connetquot River south of Breezy island (park
map: http://www.bayardcuttingarboretum.com/Media/map.gif). The rail
methodically moved toward the mouth of the cove, diligently probing into
the nooks and crannies in the mud of the undercut bank below the stand of
phragmites lining that side of the cove. The rhizomes of the reeds that
stabilize the bank provided adequate footholds for the rail to clamber over
and hang onto when wind-driven, slush-filled waves lapped at the shore.
The rail also occasionally swam shore distances. The bird was in plain sight
for the entire 10+ minutes I stayed to observe it, by far the longest amount
of time I've had this species in view. The coordinates of the shoreline
where the rail was are: 40.733142, -73.160742. The best vantage point to
observe this spot are at: 40.733818, -73.161434. Waterfowl seen earlier in
my stay included Greater Scaup (33), Lesser Scaup (1), Common Goldeneye (3),
Common Merganser (27), and Hooded Merganser (9).