> Potter, Angus Wilson and again John Haas, all of whom quickly
> evaluated photos I sent them giving me the thumbs up so that
> word could be spread quickly.

Thank you all, especially Curt, for getting the word out so quickly.  Although
the Slaty-backed did not make an observable appearance we did have a "celeb" in
the mix, amongst all those neat juvie Iceland Gulls, etc.. Herring Gull "AAF"
sporting flashy pink wingbands and a pink legband is part of a Herring Gull
research project based out of Sable Island, Nova Scotia.
http://sableislandgulls.wordpress.com/

I sent a picture and received a response back Rob Ronconi, Postdoctoral
Researcher, Dept of Biology, Acadia University. AAF is the first Herring Gull
re-sighted in the US. It was banded June 9th, 2011, on Sable Island. It is an
adult female captured at the breeding colony during the incubation period.
Since the breeding season, she was spotted twice in early October at Beacon St.
Dam in Glace Bay, Nova Scotia.

Deb Kral
Stanfordville NY