While Holly Wilson  and I were searching unsuccessfully for the Black-headed
Gull near Owl's Head Park, Brooklyn, Holly detected a first winter Glaucous
Gull on the rooftop of the wastewater treatment plant. The bird remained for
about 15 minutes around 9:30 am, then disappeared, and we found neither it nor
the Black-headed Gull when we returned around 4:00 pm.

Today, 5 Feb, Shai Mitra and I observed a huge flock of Brant in Great South
Bay, as viewed from the eastern end of the fishing piers at Captree SP, Suffolk
County, LI. The two of us independently estimated the flock at about 8,500--by
far the most we can recall seeing in Suffolk County.

Patricia Lindsay
Bay Shore