Yesterday morning, the water in Jamaica Bay was completely smooth and
visibility was the best it could possibly be looking out onto the bay.
>From the boat ramp parking lot at Floyd Bennett Field I was able to find the
>drake Barrow's Goldeneye far out in the bay looking ENE.

Looking at an overhead map I think that it was 1.25-1.5 miles away, and a
telescope is most definitely a necessity if trying for the bird from this
location.
Anyway, that's one place to look for it from if one doesn't want to go to the
West Pond early in the morning or wait there at dusk. That said, it is also
almost certainly viewable often, under similar conditions, from the western
edge of the West Pond Trail at JBWR.

Also in the bay were at least 3 (possibly more, as they were diving) Red-necked
Grebes continuing, all well to the SE.

Good Birding
-Doug Gochfeld. Brooklyn, NY.