Greetings,

There was a fairly impressive flight of blackbirds, cowbirds, and grackles
this evening at Hog Hole (Ithaca, NY). Most flocks were about 300 - 500
birds. The biggest surprise was a single adult male YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRD
in a flock about 400 birds that was comprised of 80% Red-winged Blackbirds
and 18% Common Grackles and a few cowbirds. I first spotted the bold white
patches on the upperwing (primary coverts) and then quickly realized that
entire head was yellow except for a small amount of black around the eye.
The bird appeared intermediate in size and shape between the male
Red-winged Blackbirds and Common Grackles. We didn't hear it call. Jessie
quickly got on the bird and had good scope views as it headed to the West.
I think it will be challenging to refind this bird, but it may be worth
checking flocks of blackbirds in the area a bit more closely than usual.

Complete eBird checklist here:

Some of you may also be interested in a weekly feature that we have started
running on eBird as part of our work on BirdCast. The concept is to provide
weekly forecasts of weather, bird migration and what species to look for
throughout the United States. These are written by Marshall Iliff, Andrew
Farnsworth, Brian Sullivan, Dave Nicosia and I. See the latest here:

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/bc20120309

Best,
Chris Wood

eBird & Neotropical Birds Project Leader
Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Ithaca, New York
http://ebird.org
http://neotropical.birds.cornell.edu