Although the Swamp Sparrow is named after its favored habitat, I can't help
projecting its other connotations, its hiding and lurking around on the ground,
its coloration muddied like a ruined brown/gray watercolor.  I spotted one
earlier in the week at Bryant Park during the colder/damper days - hiding in
the underbrush.  Most of last weeks Song Sparrows were gone.  This morning,
however, it defied my prejudices, sitting atop a bush along the south edge of
the lawn and breaking out into song, sharing happiness in the return of warm
weather.  To top it off, I caught the first Hermit Thrush at the garden shed on
40th street.

Happy Birding,
Alan Drogin