Yesterday birding at Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx was very slow with
numbers down significantly from last week.  Our bird walk highlights
included *2 Wilson's Snipe* on the parade ground in the fenced in area;
seen just barely before they took off heading in a South West direction.  *1
Yellow Warbler* near the lake.  1 singing *Nashville Warbler* in the North
West Forest *(a new one for our walk and whose status is "Rare" at VCP
according to the park checklist)* a couple of *Warbling Vireos* and
*1* *Baltimore
Oriole* on the way out of the Forest on the bridle path.  No sign of the
breeding plumage *Red-necked Grebe* that we had last week on the VC lake
although I had received field reports that the bird was seen on Thursday.

I continued birding all day in the Bronx doing quite a bit of hiking while
exploring some areas that I had not birded before.  Some birds of note that
I had included: *Clapper Rail*, *21 Greater Yellowlegs*, *3 Lesser
Yellowlegs* and *1 Short-billed Dowitcher* all seen in the Pelham
Bay/Orchard Beach area.

Today:

This morning, I birded Jacob Riis Park, Fort Tilden, Floyd Bennett Field *(very
brief)* and Breezy Point where the only highlight was a *Prairie
Warbler*along the 4 wheel drive trail to the beach at Breezy Point.
Later, I ended
up at Alley Pond Park where I teamed up with Eric Miller and we tried our
best to bird the park before the rain intensified.  Highlights included: *1
Worm Eating Warbler *seen near the rest rooms, *2 Palm Warblers (Yellow**)*,
*1* *Prairie Warbler *seen near Turtle Pond and a *Blue-headed Vireo* seen
near the green bins around the adventure course area.

Also, we looked and listened unsuccessfully for the Yellow-throated Warbler
that was reported there yesterday.

Good Earth Day Birding!

Andrew Baksh
Queens NY
www.birdingdude.blogspot.com

"Always treat people as ends in themselves, never as means to an end."
 -- Immanuel
Kant <http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/11038.Immanuel_Kant>