As described Stephen Chang found a small, pale sparrow with a single white
media crown stripe
on the eastern most lawn bowling and croquet field north of Sheep
Meadow. Stephen had taken photos and showed them to a few birders in the
Ramble. Anthony Collerton thought it looked too pale, but that the
light-colored crown stripe pointed to Grasshopper Sparrow. All of the
bird's markings didn't fit that though.

Anyhow, to check on it Richard Liebermann and I walked by there on our way
out of the park and found the bird perching on the westside fence. After
30s or so it drop down and flew across the field towards the building (Au
Bon Pain cafe building). It then stayed out of sight for about 20 minutes
before I found it again (Richard had to leave), now it was feeding on the
grass lawn with two Chipping Sparrows, a few House Sparrows
and White-throats, plus one Junco. The then "mystery" sparrow was the same
size as the Chippies. It was paler than any of the Grasshopper Sparrows in
my iBird guide, but I could see that it had faint buff streaking on the
flanks and across the breast. Plain face with dark eye. Short tail. Back
pattern not really describable.

Once I got access to a computer I looked up photos of Grasshopper Sparrows
online and found photos of paler individuals than the ones in the  iBird
guide. This is the first Grasshopper Sparrow(if that what it is, I think
so) I have seen in Central Park and I have not seen many anywhere else.
It's flight and dive in to the hedge on the western side of the ball lawn
field when being chased by a House Sparrow was also fitting that of the
flight of a Grasshopper Sparrow.

I went back at 6pm after work hoping to get photos of the bird, but I did
not see it. The other sparrow species and Junco were still there though, so
it is possible that also the Grasshopper Sparrow will be there tomorrow.

good birding and a new bird for Central Park,

Anders Peltomaa