In nearly 4 hours of birding at Jones Beach West End, Andrew Baksh and I
tallied a total of 74 species, with a few nice highlights. The day began
(7:00  AM) at the sandbar, seen well from around the Gazebo area where there
were  expected numbers of various shorebirds, including a few Semipalmated
Sandpipers  (a bit early), 32 Red Knot (1 bird may have had a monitoring device
attached to  its right leg),  and a surprisingly early and very large number
of Black  Skimmers (225). This is the earliest date I have on record for
Black  Skimmer in our area. A pair of Common Tern were FOS, while a steady
stream  of Eastern Kingbirds were mostly moving east throughout, seen and heard
 especially around the median totaling 25-30 birds was interesting. A bit
of an  oddball was a late Golden-crowned Kinglet, seen at the inner
turnaround (barely  vocalizing, appearing rather dull, was probably a first
year
bird).  Others from this spot (as the fog component kicked in) were a  male
Wilson's Warbler, at least 3 White-crowned Sparrows (some singing) and  the top
2 prizes, a female Summer Tanager found and  photographed by Andrew and a
nice Yellow-breasted Chat, which  began vocalizing nicely for prolonged
periods about an hour after I found it.  Both of us had nice looks at each, and
they could remain for tomorrow with  plenty of butterflies around to keep
their crops filled.

Bobby Berlingeri
Elmont, N.Y.