From: bounce-61075618-11143...@list.cornell.edu
[bounce-61075618-11143...@list.cornell.edu] on behalf of Anthony Collerton
[icoller...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 8:34 PM
To: nysbirds-l
Subject: [nysbirds-l] Boat trip from Montauk - pelagic birds, including Fea's
Petrel

Left Montauk at 5am this morning with Capt. Max Kramer, mostly to scout some of
the near-shore Summer fly-fishing spots.  Did a little chumming at a couple of
spots, mostly looking for Mako Sharks and Bluefin Tuna, but hoping for some
pelagic birds too.

Started 20 miles South of Quogue and worked South and East through the
"Butterfish" area, ending up about 35 miles South of Montauk.  Plenty of
seabirds around including Great Shearwater (200+), Cory's Shearwater (6), Sooty
Shearwater (2), Manx Shearwater (1), Pomarine Jaeger (6), Parasitic Jaeger (2),
Jaeger sp. (4), Wilson's Storm-Petrel (50).  On the non-bird front we had some
Blue Sharks, a 15-foot Basking Shark, Ocean Sunfish, and a few Bluefin Tuna.

On the way back to Montauk, we decided to check out a patch of 62-degree water
about 5-miles Southeast of Montauk Light and quickly found a nice pod of
Bluefin Tuna smashing bait on the surface.  While we were watching them (no
fishing today) a mid-sized, gray petrel slipped through the edge of my vision
and as I turned it passed close to the boat giving me close-up views of a
well-marked FEA'S PETREL.  The bird did not stop, so we followed and I managed
to snap a few shots (no BBC Wildlife Photographer of the Year award I'm afraid)
during a pursuit at 36-knots.  The bird did not seem the slightest bit
concerned by our pursuit BTW and when it was done with us it simply just
changed gears and left us behind.  Pteradromas can really move, and this one
was last seen heading toward Rhode Island waters.

I've posted 4 photos on eBird (the reviewer will have to OK the ID before they
become visible, so there will be some delay).   May be a first for NYS if
NYSARC approves.

Not a bad day, messing about in boats.

Subscribe, Configuration and
Leave<http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm>