The Kentucky Warbler was seen for about an hour and a half this morning (7:30AM
to 9:00AM) at the Rocky Point Conservation Area previously described. Despite
the almost non-stop vocalizing, I never did get a good look at the bird, as it
stayed within two feet of the ground in the many brushy tangles. It would
briefly fly higher to chase off avian intruders, even tangling with a
Ruby-throated Hummingbird, only to return to the shrubby understory. I would
think, given the birds behavior, there is a fair chance the bird is part of a
mated pair and is nesting -- it would be worthwhile to keep the bird under
observation. In the last Breeding Bird Atlas (2000-2005) there was only one
confirmed breeding record on Long Island, a pair that nested at Shu Swamp in
Northern Nassau County.

Good Birding,

Ken Feustel