Hello all,
An early morning trip together with David Krauss to the East Pond at
Jamaica Bay turned interesting when I was scanning the North end of the
Pond from the beach a short distance past Peep Island. I zeroed in on a
large white bird preening and zoomed in to max to decide what it was, then
it turned and its HUGE orange/yellow bill became obvious - slam. I called
David who had decided to stop at Peep Island to photograph a couple of very
cooperative White-rumped Sandpipers. While David was walking over, I opened
my email to send a report to NYSBIRDS, but found that Andrew Baksh had
already done so - and I thought I had found it... ;-)

After that we both had seen the bird and I had taken a couple of
documentation photos I resumed walking north to get closer, but I didn't
have to walk far because the bird flew south and landed across the pond
from me. Sweet.

Here are links to one of the better photos I got and a short phone-scoped
video of the bird. For those of you who couldn't get out birding today I'm
hoping it will like the East Pond and return tomorrow.

good birding,

Anders Peltomaa
Manhattan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/landp/7782701934/in/photostream